Luxury Condos for Sale in Sierra Towers
Sierra Towers has long had the clout of being the luxury condo building in Los Angeles. The timeless appeal of the high-rise building results from the perfect combination of location, views, a discreet staff, and celebrity residents. With its location on the border of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, right off the Sunset Strip, residents find the best shopping, entertainment, and dining within close proximity while enjoying views usually reserved for those homes near the top of the Santa Monica Mountains.
Latest Sierra Towers Real Estate Listings
Sierra Towers Information
Sierra Towers is a 31-story building located at 9255 Doheny Road near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Doheny Road. It sits in the 90069 zip code of West Hollywood. Designed by architect Jack A. Charney, who studied under Richard Neutra and Rudolf Schindler, the 146-unit building was built in 1965 for $12 million by developers Walter and Leo Minskoff as an apartment complex named the Spoon Apartment Building. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Charney said his intention was "to take maximum advantage of views of the city, mountains, and ocean," which can be seen in his design and the use of floor-to-ceiling windows and expansive terraces.
The views are one of the biggest draws of the iconic building and increase both demand and sale prices in part because the Sierra Towers building cannot be replicated under current zoning restrictions. In fact, Sierra Towers is the tallest building (by 15 stories) within a two-mile radius and also holds the distinction of being the tallest residential building in Los Angeles when measured by altitude in relation to sea level because its 31 stories are combined with its elevation on the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains.
Sierra Towers was converted to condos after real estate investor Helmsley Spear Inc. bought the building in 1974. Residents of the building are supported by a staff of 37, including security personnel, porters, and 11 valets; the Sierra Towers staff has a reputation for outstanding service and discretion.
Sierra Towers Amenities:
- 24-hour security
- Concierge service
- Swimming pool
- Banquet facilities
- Conference rooms
- 11 of the building's units have studios on the 6th floor that function as maid's quarters
Sierra Towers is followed by as many rumors as some of its famous residents. Some of those rumors include:
- The original site selected for Sierra Towers was in Beverly Hills, but the city did not approve of the proposed height. Only when Los Angeles County annexed the site did construction proceed. This rumor is doubtful since the site is close to, but not adjacent to, Beverly Hills, meaning the annexation would have had to also include Sierra Alta Way or the office buildings, such as 9255 Sunset Boulevard, situated between Doheny Drive and Sunset Boulevard.
- Members of organized crime paid off nearby residents who protested their views being blocked by the new building.
- Frank Sinatra provided some type of mysterious help get the building built after construction stalled because he wanted a place for his mother to live in the building.
- The building is said to get its plural name from the abandoned original plans that included a second tower. This rumor is unlikely since the Sierra Towers name was not used for the building for its first ten years in existence.
Notable and Celebrity Residents of Sierra Towers (Past and Present):
- Elton John: Singer-Songwriter and Musician
- Cher: Actress and Singer
- Sidney Poitier: Actor, Director, and Diplomat
- George Hamilton: Actor
- David Geffen: Entertainment Executive and Producer
- Ozzy Osbourne: Singer-Songwriter, Frontman of Black Sabbath, and Television Personality
- Sharon Osbourne: Television Personality, Music Manager, and Promoter
- Courteney Cox: Actress
- Matthew Perry: Actor
- Joan Collins: Actress and Author
- Vincent Gallo: Actor, Director, Painter, and Musician
- Evander Holyfield: World-Champion Boxer
- Edith Flagg: Fashion Designer, Fashion Executive, and Grandmother of Realtor/Television Personality Josh Flagg
- Karyn White: Singer
- Charles S. Cohen: Real Estate Developer and Owner of the Pacific Design Center
- Lily Collins: Model and Actress
- Rachel Zoe: Fashion Stylist
- Bill Shoemaker: Racehorse Jockey
- Peter Lawford: Actor
- David Janssen: Actor best known as Dr. Richard Kimble in The Fugitive
- Diahann Carroll: Actress and Singer
- Fred Durst: Musician and Film Director
- PJ Harvey: Singer-Songwriter and Musician
- Tawny Kitaen: Actress and Televison Personality
- Lindsay Lohan: Actress, Model, and Recording Artist
- Brody Jenner: Reality Television Personality
- Jim Morris: Baseball Player
- Nino Tempo: Musician, Singer, and Actor